Anatomist Crash !

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

grova

Anatomist Crash !

Post by grova »

Hello everybody, one more question about an anatomist Crash !

Anatomist just crash without any error message when I create a new 2d or 3d view. (when I click on the icon)

My video card is an ATI, the driver : ATI Radeon 8500, I checked in /etc/X11/XF86Config both dri and glx are loaded

Anatomist 1.28 used to run well with this card and driver,
I just installed the last version of Brainvisa/anatomist, and I obtained this crash pb with anatomist 1.3.

Any idea ? thanks in advance,

Christophe
Christophe Grova, PhD
PostDoc - EEG department
Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University
email : christophe.grova@mail.mcgill.ca
tel : (514) 398 2184
fax : (514) 398 8106
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,

You're not the first person who has problems with ATI cards under Linux. We think it's related to the driver because anatomist works fine on a quite wide variety of systems (Mac, Windows, SGI, Sun and Linux with other 3D cards...) so if it was a bug I think it would have shown out on one of these systems. But that's probably not a very good argument... it's just comfortable for us to say "it's not us, it's the driver !" :wink:
I cannot reproduce the crash here because all our machines use nvidia cards.
Anyway ATI provides its own drivers for linux (just like nvidia) on http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linu ... linux.html. I don't know if they would work better or not but you can try them and tell us...

Otherwise you can also try to locate more precisely the problem using a debugger. If anatomist crashes with a segfault or similar signal, you can get the function where it crashed:
- run the package setup script SHFJEnvironmentVariables.[c]sh
- run gdb:

Code: Select all

gdb anatomist.bin
- in gdb, start anatomist:

(gdb) run
- when anatomist crashes, type in gdb:

(gdb) where
- send the stack trace here on the list

Denis
grova

output of the debugger

Post by grova »

Here is where anatomist crashes :

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 8192 (LWP 11651)]
(gdb) where
#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1 0x418523e4 in choose_cmap () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#2 0x418543a2 in QGLWidget::setContext () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#3 0x41853d6f in QGLWidget::init () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#4 0x41850a5a in QGLWidget::QGLWidget () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#5 0x4061508e in carto::GLWidget::GLWidget () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#6 0x40615373 in QAGLWidget::sharedWidget () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#7 0x4061bff4 in AWindow3D::AWindow3D () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#8 0x40609132 in anatomist::AWindowFactory::create3D () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#9 0x40608ffb in anatomist::AWindowFactory::createWindow () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#10 0x40608fc3 in anatomist::AWindowFactory::createWindow () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#11 0x404844d8 in anatomist::CreateWindowCommand::doit () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#12 0x40700e2f in anatomist::Command::execute () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#13 0x40701c1c in anatomist::Processor::execute () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#14 0x405bd5ba in ControlWindow::openWindow () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#15 0x40735600 in ControlWindow::qt_invoke () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#16 0x41631ec7 in QObject::activate_signal () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#17 0x41631fec in QObject::activate_signal () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#18 0x40736207 in QToolButtonInt::activated () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#19 0x40736433 in QToolButtonInt::qt_invoke () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libanatomist.so.1.30
#20 0x41631ec7 in QObject::activate_signal () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#21 0x41631e28 in QObject::activate_signal () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#22 0x41932a58 in QButton::clicked () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#23 0x416c6a57 in QButton::mouseReleaseEvent () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#24 0x41662000 in QWidget::event () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#25 0x415d1ff3 in QApplication::internalNotify () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#26 0x415d1723 in QApplication::notify () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#27 0x4157a871 in QETWidget::translateMouseEvent () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#28 0x41577a80 in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#29 0x415766ce in QApplication::processNextEvent () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#30 0x415d34bc in QApplication::enter_loop () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#31 0x41576637 in QApplication::exec () from /data/Soft/brainvisa/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#32 0x080494d6 in main ()
#33 0x420158d4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb)

Any idea .... I m really not used to install driver on linux ...should I install the driver provided by ATI ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Christophe
Christophe Grova, PhD
PostDoc - EEG department
Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University
email : christophe.grova@mail.mcgill.ca
tel : (514) 398 2184
fax : (514) 398 8106
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Well, it seems to crash in qt library (not even in OpenGL). I don't think anatomist is responsible from this crash: the bug is in initilaization functions used by qt to setup X server parameters to use OpenGL in (Visual, colormaps...) (the stack track is quite clear). We're doing some "bidouilles" (I don't know how to translate this word in english) in anatomist for this too, but later in the code: at this point it's the base Qt initialization that takes place.
The qt shipped with our binary distribution is maybe a bit old (and I don't have the sources of this version anymore), I don't know if it would be different with a newer one, or if the problem is in the X client itself.
I guess you are not using a colormapped screen (noboby does nowadays), but you can try changing the screen depth (16 or 32 bits, you might even try 8 bits just to see) and see if it behaves differently (the problem seems to be closely related to X server queries).

Otherwise the only thing you can do is recompile anatomist... but anyway you're going to compile aims, aren't you ?...

Installing the driver from ATI may change some things, but I have no experience with it, I don't know if it is stable or not.

Denis
kndiaye

Any news from the ATI front?

Post by kndiaye »

Hi all,
I was wandering whether any progress had been made concerning the ATI vs QT crash ?
We are thinking about upgrading our hardware in the lab and I was wondering what would be the best options as video cards ?
Would anyone have advices on it?
We routinely use BrainVisa (and QT) on Nvidia videocards run under Linux OS without trouble. Should we keep on using this material ?

Thank for your help.
Karim
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,

We have identified a problem related to shared display lists in OpenGL using ATI cards on Linux. This is definitely a bug on the server side (GLX implementation and/or ATI drivers I guess). We have made a workaround in the development version of Anatomist, it seems to work better but I have not tried myself.
Anyway if you plan to buy some new 3D cards and intend to use them with Linux, the best choice is definitely Nvidia cards: their drivers do work and are easy to install. We have experienced many problems with different other 3D cards and so we only use nvidia because we're sure it will work this way. Of course I'm speaking of the drivers status, not of the hardware performance of cards, but in any case it's better to have a working system with maybe a bit lower performances than something very fast but not working properly. Furthermore for Anatomist you don't need the last generation of 3D cards: we don't use the latest little gadgets of texturing effects from the gaming community.

Denis