modifying the Gyral Parcellation

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

joost

modifying the Gyral Parcellation

Post by joost »

Hi,

i've used the "Gyral Parcellation" in BV4.1. the results look decent. however, sometimes the parcellation is not correct (e.g. a part of a gyrus is incorrectly labeled). i changed the sulcal labels near the incorrect parcellation (as the gyral parcellation heavily depends on the sulcal labels) and reran the gyral parcellation, but the gyral parcellation did not improve.

my question: is there any way of modifying the Gyral Parcellation, apart from changing the sulcal labels? ideally, i would like to correct (manually) the labels of the vertices, i.e. on the surface. i know that FreeSurfer has this functionality for their cortical surface segmentations and i was wondering if BrainVisa has a similar functionality.

merci,
-joost
joost

Re: modifying the Gyral Parcellation

Post by joost »

Hi,

just to add to my previous question i've attached a picture. so my question remains: is it possible to correct this parcellation error within Brainvisa? i tried renaming the sulcal labels and this didn't help. is there any other way? if so, how can i do it?

merci,
-joost
Attachments
lateral.png
lateral.png (116.92 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
riviere
Site Admin

Re: modifying the Gyral Parcellation

Post by riviere »

Hi Joost,

The gyral parcellation is actually based on the sulci. Modifying the sulci labels should have an influence on the parcellation, thus. Did you change the labels in Anatomist, using the same property in graph nodes ('label' or 'name', probably 'label') ?

The process you are using is, as you have seen, in an "old" directory, it is actually getting old, and does not have all the needed parameters to change its behaviour.
There is a newer algorithm for gyral parcellation, in the same toolbox, in "referentials / tools" (also visible only in expert mode): "cortical surface parcellation (left / right)". It has to be used after the cortical surface parameterization pipeline. It still has some stability problems, and its main algorithms are still worked on in Marseille, but it also does the job.
A texture drawing tool has been developed in Anatomist (also in Marseille), specifically to edit sulcal constraints for the sulcal parameterization (after the projection step), so it should be possible to edit/correct sulcal constraints directly on the surface.

There are docs and a tutorial on Olivier's web pages:
http://olivier.coulon.perso.esil.univme ... nvisa.html

Denis