Obtaining Sulcal Volume Information in 3.1?

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

ericbarnhill

Obtaining Sulcal Volume Information in 3.1?

Post by ericbarnhill »

Greetings and congratulations on the new release.

I see that the morphometry statistics models for the 3.1 graphs no longer have a volume statistic. Our plan for the studies was to look at volume as well as surface area, length, and the depth stats. If I want to look at sulcus volumes, would you recommend I run the 3.0 graph and look at those statistics? Or would you recommend using only the statistics available in 3.1 for any studies?

Thanks for all your help so far, BrainVISA is getting a lot of use here at the moment.

-Eric
riviere
Site Admin

Re: Obtaining Sulcal Volume Information in 3.1?

Post by riviere »

Hi Eric,

The volume has been replaced by a surface because the volume of a sulcus is not really meaningful and does not represent a reality: it was only the volume of the voxels layer forming the fold (the skeleton of the CSF), which is an arbitrary 1-voxel thick voxels layer, so its volume is completely influenced by the voxel size and orientation. It was just here to provide a "idea" of the sulcus size, but it was not really useful for statistics. The surface (of the same sulcus object) is less sensitive to voxel size and orientation.

Denis