morphomerty statistics and hierarchy

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

guillaume

morphomerty statistics and hierarchy

Post by guillaume »

Hi there,

I would like to extract the morphometry stats from a graph of sulci at a level in the hierarchy that is different from the default setting.
I mean for instance obtaining the descriptor 'surface' not for --S.F.inf._right, S.F.inter._right, S.F.sup._right, etc-- but instead for --PREFRONTAL_right--, which is another level in the same hierarchy.

Should I write a python script that computes the sum of 'surface' for sulci in PREFRONTAL_right or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help,

guillaume
riviere
Site Admin

Re: morphomerty statistics and hierarchy

Post by riviere »

Hi Guillaume,

There is a tool to select/group sulci names for morphometry stats: in the BV process, on the "region" parameter, there is a button "...". This button runs a selection tool which allows to select labels. It can be used by drag & drop: take sulci names from the upper panel, and drop them in the lower one. You can drop a sulcus name into another one, thus grouping them together. There is a limit however, due to the sulcal model system: you can only use existing models, so sulci names that exist in the model: so you cannot use "PREFRONTAL_right" as a group name, but have to use for instance "S.F.sup._right", even if it actually contains the whole lobe.
Once you have built your selection, you can "accept" it, and you may save it in a file, a ".sel" file, which you can specify using the file browser icon of the "region" parameter of the morphometry process.
The selection GUI is using the model and nomenclature parameters, so make sure to fill them before building the selection.

Denis
guillaume

Post by guillaume »

Thank you Denis,

this selection GUI is a great tool I didn't tried before!
However, I do not understand waht you mean by "use for instance "S.F.sup._right", even if it actually contains the whole lobe".

For my first use I did select all sulcal names in the temporal lobe and get the stat for each of those sulci in separate files, which is not exactely that I was searching for.
I would like to get, e.g. for the temporal lobe, a single value for each descriptor, is this possible?

gui
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

What I meant is that you can drag / drop an existing sulcus (S.F.sup._right for instance), which will be used for a "group name", then drop other sulci inside this group, this is to say put S.F.inf inside S.F.sup etc: the "goup" will be called "S.F.inf._right" but will contain several sulci, which will be put together and processed by the "S.F.inf._right" model (this is why the group has to be an existing sulcus name).
A given sulcus name can only appear once in the labels list, so if you have first taken all names from the upper list, you have to delete some of them in the lower one before dropping them again in a "group". You cannot move a sulcus name once it is on the lower box, sorry...

Denis