use morphometry statistics to measure sulcal width

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

kaide jin

use morphometry statistics to measure sulcal width

Post by kaide jin »

Hi,
Q1 I can use morphometry statistics pipeline to measure the sulcal depth, GM_thickness and fold opening. But I can not find width in my result.
Does fold_opening mean sulcal width?
If not, please tell me how to add width to measurement.

Q2 at one time, I can only measure the left or right side, would you please tell me how to measure two sides at same time.

Thanks for your help
Kaide
riviere
Site Admin

Re: use morphometry statistics to measure sulcal width

Post by riviere »

Hi,

R1: the fold_opening feature is the CSF volume in the fold divided by the surface of the sulcus skeleton, so it corresponds roughly to the average width (half of it actually given the way we calculate it). It's probably not the most optimal possible width measurement, but it's the simplest.

R2: as our models need some precalculations for some specific features, every object (sulcus) that can be measured has to exist in the model. This is a limitation that should not apply to all measurements, but it's the way ve have implemented it (quite a long time ago). It is possible define groups, but each has to have the name of a sulcus existing in the model. Moreover we have separated hemispheres in our models and data, so this grouping is not very convenient in the current state.
But we are in the process of redesigning this morphometric measurements module, so we will break these limitations in the future.

Denis
kaide jin

Re: use morphometry statistics to measure sulcal width

Post by kaide jin »

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I have two question about lateral sulcus (Sylvian fissure).

Q1: In BrainVISA, this sulcus is divided to two parts, anterior and posterior lateral fissures. Why do authors divide it in two parts?

Q2: Lateral sulcus is between four lobes and there is a space inside of this sulcus (around insular lobe). This space is filled of CSF. Would you please explain how to measure lateral sulcus? also measure CSF volume in the fold ?

Thanks for your help.
riviere wrote:Hi,

R1: the fold_opening feature is the CSF volume in the fold divided by the surface of the sulcus skeleton, so it corresponds roughly to the average width (half of it actually given the way we calculate it). It's probably not the most optimal possible width measurement, but it's the simplest.

R2: as our models need some precalculations for some specific features, every object (sulcus) that can be measured has to exist in the model. This is a limitation that should not apply to all measurements, but it's the way ve have implemented it (quite a long time ago). It is possible define groups, but each has to have the name of a sulcus existing in the model. Moreover we have separated hemispheres in our models and data, so this grouping is not very convenient in the current state.
But we are in the process of redesigning this morphometric measurements module, so we will break these limitations in the future.

Denis