offline installer

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

david

offline installer

Post by david »

Hi, I read about offline installers but could not find them on the webpage. Do you still provide them ? We will be interested to test it on centOS 5 and centOS 6.5 machines.

Thanks,
David
riviere
Site Admin

Re: offline installer

Post by riviere »

Hi,
Er, actually, we have not made these offline packages... As they take time to build and disk space, we did not take the time to build them, and then we guessed that "nobody would use them anyway"... You need them to install brainvisa on a machine without an access to internet ?
Denis
david

Post by david »

Yes exactly. I know this is quite annoying to set up and probably prone to library issues. If they were already available that would have been easier, so I'll see if I can test it on an online machine, and eventually see if we can build it from source. Thanks anyway !

David
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Actually the offline installer has exactly the same contents as the online one, it just contains all the (same) packages in the downloaded file. It's a bit difficult to get a moment so I don't promise I will do it very soon, but if I can get a minute (or an hour) (and not forget)...
Denis
david

Post by david »

A related question: would it be easier for you to provide online installers for other linux distributions ? Our HPC cluster works on centOS 6.5, but I don't know how widespread such distribution is for BrainVisa users ...
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
Sorry for the delay... Well no, it wouldn't be easier to build an installer for other linux distributions: we simply don't have a CentOS 6 machine (we have a CentOS 5.11 cluster for which we have an installer without external dependencies, so we don't distribute it), and it would require to recompile everything for this system, make packaging scripts for every external library brainvisa depends on, and test all of it. Actually building the offline installer once the packages have been prepared for the online one is just a matter or running a command, it's just that I haven't taken time to do it, and test that the installer works before putting it on the website. I'm currently trying to do it...

Anyway you can always install an online version somewhere, and copy all the brainvisa directory to another location/machine.

Denis
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

I have built 2 offline installers, for linux64-glibc-2.6 and linux64-glibc-2.15, you can try them if you want. They should be visible and downloadable from the web site.
Denis
dcoynel

Post by dcoynel »

Hi Denis, this seems to work properly, thanks a lot !