skull meshes

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

yarikoptic

skull meshes

Post by yarikoptic »

What is your favorite alternative software to generate skull(in/out) meshes? (freesurf/brainsuite/ASA/oth) That is sad that there is no even half-automatic tool for that in brainvisa... or did I miss something? :-)
--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark
Student Ph.D. @ CS Dept. NJIT, Master @ CS Dept. UNM
Jean-Francois Mangin

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

The team working in the LENA/MEG center, in La Pitie Salpetriere in Paris, uses a script generating a mesh of the skull from Aims/Vip command lines. When I was involved in its development, it was simply a closed version of the brain dilated a fixed amount, but they may have improved that stuff. Get in touch with D. Schwartz and Sylvain Baillet (they are in the user list of the forum).

There is also a crappy mesh of the head generated in the pipeline.

Anyway, I would like to stress that we do not pretend providing everything ourselves. We hope other groups will complete the brainVISA framework with their own tools :wink:

for MEG/EEG, the group mentioned above is doing a great job, but I do not think they spend a lot of time on brain geometry. Therefore, there is a lot of space for other contributions.

Furthermore, we encourage the embedding of concurrent algorithms inside brainVISA framework. Any algorithm, indeed, sometimes find a dataset showing its weaknesses :P. I hope some plugins will be developped to add some functionalities of freesurfer or FSL. Such plugins are in progress for SPM and MRItotal (MNI tools)
yarikoptic

Post by yarikoptic »

Jean-Francois Mangin wrote:Get in touch with D. Schwartz and Sylvain Baillet (they are in the user list of the forum).
Thank you for the ideas

S. Baillet recently announced alpha release of brainstorm which does a lot for EEG/MEG forward/inverse problems and it supposed to import meshes generated by brainvisa... I will first look into what is happening there :-)

Thanx again!
--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark
Student Ph.D. @ CS Dept. NJIT, Master @ CS Dept. UNM
mhough

Re: skull meshes

Post by mhough »

Yaroslav,

You might check out the new version of FSL. BET2 now produces inner and outer skull meshes.

Cheers,

-Morgan

--
Morgan Hough DPhil student
FMRIB, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
mhough@fmrib.ox.ac.uk http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~mhough
tel +44 (0) 1865 222545 fax +44 (0) 1865 222717