Mesh Decimation

AIMS library and commands usage

Moderators: denghien, riviere

alexis

Mesh Decimation

Post by alexis »

Hi to all,

I'd like to use the AimsMeshDecimation command but I can't do it very well :
- first if I put a decimation rate > 60, the result is always a 59,.. % decimation. I tried to change the other parameters but it doesn't change a lot. My meshes have 22000 vertices and I'd like to reduce it to a number between 1000 ~ 6000 ( according to the following traitements ).
- second when the decimated mesh is created, the corresponding .minf is created to, but it doesn't contain good parameters : if we look at the meshes in anatomist, we can see that the meshes have different vertices number ; although, in the .minf files it's identical.

Any suggestion would be welcome.
Bye !
Alexis Barbot
CNRS UPR640 LENA
Jean-Francois Mangin

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

This is one of the ugliest corner of Aims:-) I did not play with it for a while, and there is no paper anywhere describing the underlying algorithm. However, I remember playing that game long ago to create multiresolution meshes. The turnaround was to trigger the command several times I think, allowing smoothing during decimation.

A possible alternative, at least one of these days, is to get in touch with Pascal Cathier here, who developed a new decimation method that could be easier to master. I let you guess his E-mail.
alexis

Post by alexis »

Thanks a lot!

at least I'm aware of the situation ;) and I know what to look.

Good afternoon
Alexis Barbot
CNRS UPR640 LENA