AimsRefineMesh

AIMS library and commands usage

Moderators: denghien, riviere

vsmuser

AimsRefineMesh

Post by vsmuser »

I would like to refine the meshes i get after segmentation. I would like the vertex spacing to be < 1.0 mm. I decided to use AimsRefineMesh and am using a command like this with the following output:

>> AimsRefineMesh -i brain.mesh -o brain_refine.mesh -l 1.0
reading mesh : done
processing inverse decimation : rank = 0 -> 142768 : 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111073910

and the calculation doesn't stop after 16 hours. What is AimsRefineMesh doing? Is there a better way of doing this? How long should the refine mesh program take?

I tested the command for a coarser mesh and it seemed to be successful after a few seconds:

>> AimsRefineMesh -i brain.mesh -o brain_refine.mesh -l 5.0
reading mesh : done
processing inverse decimation : rank = 0 -> 142768 : 142840
saving mesh : done

Is there something I am doing wrong?
Jean-Francois Mangin

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

Sorry, for us french, refining mesh means smoothing and decimating,
not at all what you have in mind. However, you could get a mesh
with a very high number of nodes directly from the segmentation you mesh. Use AimsMesh without decimating for instance.
oink

Post by oink »

Actually, AimsRefineMesh simply splits a triangle in two whenever an edge longer than a user-given threshold is found. Vmsuser has a point, AimsRefineMesh is super-slow for what it is supposed to do. This is an implementation issue due to the structure used, which therefore cannot be corrected as fast as it should. Besides, its naive refining technique could be improved as well.

The short answer is, AimsRefineMesh can be used to correct a handful of faulty edges only. I would personnally not recommand it for any other use at all.
Jean-Francois Mangin

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

Forget my previous answer, I mixed up different tools :roll: