Opening DICOM files

Questions about Anatomist manipulation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

Keith

Opening DICOM files

Post by Keith »

hello. Just started with Anatomist. I'm able to open my DICOM files but I cannot generate anykind of image. I get errors in the CMD saying "Texture too large for OpenGL implementation." repeated until TexImage ultimately fails. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Keith
riviere
Site Admin

Re: Opening DICOM files

Post by riviere »

Hi,
You mean, the image is correctly loaded, but display fails ?
It might be an OpenGL/3D driver problem. Do you have an up-to-date 3D driver (using proprietary nvidia/ati drivers if you have a nvidia or ati card on Linux) ?
Alternatively, on Linux you can try the software-only OpenGL which is provided with BrainVisa/Anatomist: see the explanations in the last changelog.
Denis
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thank you Denis. I neglected to include that I am working on a Windows XP system. I'll need to check with our IT support re: the status of the OpenGL driver. If you have any other suggestions re: Windows XP, please post them.

Thanks again,

Keith
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

On windows XP it is possible to lower or disable the level of hardware support for 3D drivers. On many (but not all) Intel chipsets, it helps to lower it. It can be set somewhere from the display properies (by right-clicking on the desktop background), maybe in expert settings or something like that.
Denis
mparkmd

Post by mparkmd »

Hi:

I'm having slightly different problem. I am using the Mac version of BrainVISA/Anatomist 3.2.1. Usually, I can open the DICOM images with Anatomist by selecting the first image of the series. The Anatomist opens the series and I'm able to save the file as a .vimg for BrainVISA pipeline.

Recently, I am having trouble with two image sets. I am able to select the first of the series of DICOM images that I want to open. However, Anatomist is only opening that image only and not the whole series. After it is loaded, it is displayed but only noise is seen.

I have tried converting the DICOM images to .jpeg and the Anatomist is able to load and display the image properly but again, only one image is loaded and not the whole series.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go from DICOM or .jpeg to .vimg so that I can proceed with the pipeline? And open the entire series?

Michael
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi Michael,
There is a wide variability in DICOM images, depending on what the images actually contain, or on the software which has written it. Our DICOM reader is far from perfect and some images cannot be read correctly, as you have seen.
In such cases you may use tools which have quite focused on this aspect and are better to read DICOM. For instance you can try mricron which is far better to convert DICOM to NIFTI format (.nii). Then import the nifti files in BrainVisa.
Denis