cannot open anatomist!

Questions about Anatomist manipulation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

aurely1310

cannot open anatomist!

Post by aurely1310 »

Hello,

I wanted to install BrainVisa on Linux.
I was making fiber tracking, (on Linux because there was a few mistakes on Windows) and for the moment I didn't have problems with BrainVISA.

But I'm now trying to draw ROI and then I have the folowing message :
"can not open Anatomist"

I tried to install the software again. But nothing changed.
And when I clicked on the "eye" button, nothing happens...

I don't know how to do, but what is curious, is that during the installation, I get another exception :
"[ : 23: ==: unexpected operator
No protocol specified
python : cannot connect to X server :0.0
Building BrainVISA cache...
"

Does the problem come from here ?

Thank you very much,
aurely1310.
riviere
Site Admin

Re: cannot open anatomist!

Post by riviere »

Hi,
It seems that Anatomist does not have the permissions to use your screen. Are you using it from a different user account than the one who opened the login session ?
You could try the following command from the user account who opened the session before running brainvisa/anatomist:

Code: Select all

xhost +
to allow other users/sessions to use the display screen.
Denis
aurely1310

Post by aurely1310 »

Thank you for your answer even if...

I'm sorry but it seems that the problem doesn't come from here :
I installed and opened the file as administrator (by the command lines sudo su). It was the same user account for the installation and for the opening of the login session...

Then as you said, I tried to write : "xhost +anatomist", but the same error is here again :
" No protocole specified
xhost : unable to open display "0.0"
"

I tried also to execute the command "chmod +x brainvisa" and "chmod +x anatomist".
But when I try to launch anatomist after that the following message appears :

".: 6: Can't open /usr/bin/../bin/cartopack.sh"

I'm really unlucky...May be another idea ?

Thank you very much,
Aurélie.
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
I guess there was a wrong operation somewhere.
- you logged in as a "standard user", say "useraccount".
- then you installed brainvisa via sudo: OK. Where (in which directory) did you install brainvisa by the way ?
- in a terminal from user useraccount, you should be able to run brainvisa and anatomist.
- if from a terminal with a different user, say "otheruser" (or root), while "useraccount" is still holding the login session, then you should have the display error message. If running under "otheruser" account is really what you want, then you should issue, in a terminal belonging to "useraccount", the command

Code: Select all

xhost +
(as is, no "xhost +anatomist")
and then running from "otheruser" should be OK.
But in any case, if logging and running is from the normal "useraccount", you should not have any display problem, otherwise there may be a X server installation issue.

Denis
aurely1310

Post by aurely1310 »

Hello,

It seems it was a problem of sessions. I don't understand why, because I was giving all the permissions to all users and launched the application from the same session than the one where I installed it.

Finally, I could find a (temporary) solution : I activated graphically the "root" session When the computer start, I can indenty myself as the "normal" user or as "root".

Then, I did again the whole installation, and now it's all right.

Strange...

Thank you for your replies,
Aurelie.
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

You don't need to run brainvisa/anatomist with the same user as the one who installed it: typically if you installed it as root, you don't need, and even you'd better *not* run it as root.
For the display, you just need to run graphical programs with the same user as the one who opened the graphical session.
Denis
aurely1310

Post by aurely1310 »

riviere wrote:You don't need to run brainvisa/anatomist with the same user as the one who installed it: typically if you installed it as root, you don't need, and even you'd better *not* run it as root.
For the display, you just need to run graphical programs with the same user as the one who opened the graphical session.
Denis
That is what I did but it was again impossible to open anatomist.
Anyway, my solution works well, I'll work like that for the moment.

Thank you very much!