anatomist crashes on Kubuntu 10.4

Questions about Anatomist manipulation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

bburle

anatomist crashes on Kubuntu 10.4

Post by bburle »

Hi all,

I recently ran into a problem with anatomist. Although I cannot be sure, it seems to be related to my upgrade to Kubuntu 10.4:
I have no problem to start anatomist, either via Brainvisa or directly. I can also load images (for example T1 MRI): the display window opens fine and I can visualize the images. But, as soon as I click on the image, anatomist crashes and closes my kubuntu session, turning me to the logging screen of kubuntu. I installed the new version of brainvisa 4.0, but the problem remains exactly the same.

Has someone experienced the same issue? Do you have any ideas on what could be the problem ?

Thanks in advance,
B.
riviere
Site Admin

Re: anatomist crashes on Kubuntu 10.4

Post by riviere »

Hi,
I would suspect the 3D drivers and OpenGL implementation...
The fact that the whole session crashes indicates that the bug is not limited to anatomist: even a big bug in an application program should not be able to crash the session, so there is obviously a bug in the window system server or the 3D system. Now this bug might be triggered by a but in anatomist, but I am also using Kubuntu 10.04 on a little laptop and did not encounter this problem, so I am rather confident on anatomist robustness...
Are you using a kind of, I don't remember exactly how they call it, compositing or "desktop effects" involving OpenGL in KDE ? You could try disabling them, first, just to see if it still behaves the same.
Then you should check your 3D hardware drivers: update them, and if you are using a nvidia or ati 3D card, switch to the proprietary vendor drivers rather than the freeware implementations coming with linux.
Alternately (as a last ressort) you can switch to the software implementation of OpenGL: we shipped a Mesa OpenGL library in the linux packages, just in case: you just need to move (or symlink) the contents of the directory <brainvisa_dir>/lib/mesa/ to <brainvisa_dir>/lib (removing the mesa subdir) and restart anatomist. It will be obviously much slower, but normally works in all cases.
Denis
bburle

Post by bburle »

Hi,

Although not activated, I de-installed all the fancy graphic effects. My graphic card is an INTEL one integrated in the motherboard, and no way to update the drivers...

So I finally move to the Mesa solution. It works ok now... So, I'll live with that, at least for now !!

Thank you very much for your help,
Boris
"i"

Post by "i" »

Hi,

just tried to install anatomist on fedora 13 on my macbook and I got the same problem. I tried the "mesa" solution but it did not work. Afterthat, anatomist did not launch anymore. I also tried to update the 3D drivers of my nvidia card. Not sure I really didi it properly cause I'm not a linux expert and I did not got any results.

If you have any ideas...?
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
I'm not used to MacBooks but I guess they are regular PCs with an Apple plastic dressing around, so they should work like other linux PCs...
Fedora doesn't provide the proprietary nvidia drivers (because they are not open source, even if they are free), so maybe you are using the open-source "nv" or "nouveau" drivers, which are probably not completely mature yet. You can install drivers from nvidia, either by going to nvidia web site, or by using the drivers packaged for Fedora on http://rpmfusion.org/. This is what I am using (I am using F13 at home) and never had problems for many years.
Now I wonder why the mesa solution did not work for you...
Denis