BrainVisa and Fedora 12

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

melissach

BrainVisa and Fedora 12

Post by melissach »

Hi, I'm using Fedora 12. I have this error when I try to open Anatomist after I installed it. Does somebody have a cue? I also had this king of problem with library installing Matlab. I think the point is with F 12.

[chamel@localhost Desktop]$ cd brainvisa-Mandriva-2008.0-x86_64-4.0.1-2010_07_29
[chamel@localhost brainvisa-Mandriva-2008.0-x86_64-4.0.1-2010_07_29]$ ./bin/anatomist
/home/chamel/Desktop/brainvisa-Mandriva-2008.0-x86_64-4.0.1-2010_07_29/bin/../bin/commands-links/anatomist: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libpk-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: FcLangGetCharSet

Thanks,

Mélissa
Dominique Geffroy
Site Admin

Re: BrainVisa and Fedora 12

Post by Dominique Geffroy »

Hello,

We already had this type of problem. it seems to happen when using gnome desktop. Try to run Fedora with kde desktop instead. Which version of brainvisa do you use ? I thought it was corrected in the last 4.0.2 version...

Dominique
melissach

Post by melissach »

I retried with the 4.0 version and I had the same problem.
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
You were apparently using BV 4.0.1, and the problem has been fixed in 4.0.2...
Denis
acphilip

Post by acphilip »

Same problems with fedora 12 and 14 and BV 4.0.2.
Dominique Geffroy
Site Admin

Post by Dominique Geffroy »

Hi,

Did you try to run Fedora with kde desktop instead of gnome ?

Dominique
Melanie PELEGRINI

Post by Melanie PELEGRINI »

Just an update to inform you that I have the same error message on 64-bit machines with CentOS 6.2, in Gnome sessions
brainvisa41_x64/bin/real-bin/python: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libpk-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: FcLangGetCharSet

I have BrainVISA 4.1.1 installed.

BrainVISA works OK in KDE sessions, but not everybody wants to use KDE, so I think the problem should be fixed for Gnome...

Cheers

Melanie
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
We thought we had fixed this one, but it proved not... We are still struggling with such problems caused (I think) by system (incompatible) plugins getting loaded by libs from the BV package, whereas they should not, and we didn't understand why and how they were loaded. We are trying to fix hard-coded paths (rpaths) in linux libs shipped with brainvisa, it _might_ solve the problem.

Denis
Yann Cointepas

Post by Yann Cointepas »

I found a way to make BrainVISA work with Gnome. The problems comes from a Qt plugins that adds the GTK+ style to the application. This plugin is installed on some systems and is used for default style when a Qt application is started from a Gnome desktop. Using this plugin may crash the application because BrainVISA provides its own Qt that is different from the one installed on the system. We have not yet found a way to ask to Qt not to use this plugin, there are some hard coded plugin path somewhere that cannot be removed even if the plugins paths is set in qt.conf.

The work around is to force the style of the application. You can do that by a command line option, for example :

Code: Select all

anatomist -style Cleanlooks
brainvisa -style Windows
BrainVISA will complain about the parameters but you can ignore this message.

To make this permanent for an account, you can use the following program :

Code: Select all

/path-to-brainvisa-pack/bin/qtconfig -style Cleanlooks
You can choose any style you want except GTK+ and then save. The problem of this method is that the style will be applied to all Qt applications. We will have to find a way to make it permanent for BrainVISA application only...
Melanie PELEGRINI

Post by Melanie PELEGRINI »

Yeah it works :-)))))))

Thanks a lot !
Yann Cointepas

Post by Yann Cointepas »

Denis and I have found a way to patch a BrainVISA installation in order to fix the problem with Gnome. I wrote a Python script (attached to this message) that must be run with the Python from the BrainVISA package to patch. This script simply modify a Qt dynamic library to make it unable to identify a Gnome desktop. The long term solution would be to use appropriate Qt compilation options (if any) to disable any link with Gtk library. We will have a fixed Qt in the next releases.
Attachments
patch_brainvisa_for_gtk.py
(537 Bytes) Downloaded 435 times