compilation error on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

rvboutin

compilation error on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Post by rvboutin »

Hi,
Working with Fabien Rastello to try to compil BrainVisa on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, I have run the following command:

Code: Select all

svn export https://bioproj.extra.cea.fr/neurosvn/brainvisa/development/brainvisa-cmake/trunk /home/user/Brainvisa_temp/brainvisa-cmake/ --force
cd /home/user/Brainvisa_temp/brainvisa-cmake
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=. .
make install
Whatever I tried there is no bv_env (executable) created in /home/user/Brainvisa_temp/brainvisa-cmake/. I have tried to run "make" just before "make install", same result. Fabien has run out of idea and suggested that I post a question on the forum, so here it is... any suggestion?

Cheers,
Rv
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
email: herve.boutin@manchester.ac.uk

Re: compilation error on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Post by riviere »

Hi,

First, here you are retreiving the "trunk" branch of brainvisa-cmake, which is the development, unstable version, which also is meaningful only when there is some new development on this branch. Currently there is not, and the trunk branch is completely unmainained and (as strange as it seems) outdated. You should get the "bug_fix" branch instead. I don't think we indicate the trunk branch on any doc or web page, but if we do it's a mistake, please tell us where you have found a reference to it so that we fix it...

Now the bv_env executable has changed a bit a few months ago: there are now 2 variants:
* bv_env_host is what you generally used to expect as bv_env, and in most cases it's the same
* bv_env is used in cross-compilation environments (typically it is a Windows exe) that allows to run programs compiled for a foreign system on the "target" system or through wine.
In "standard", non cross-compilation linux environments both are the same, but the latter is maybe not built at first because when building "just" brainvisa-cmake, we don't know yet if we are going to cross-compile or not, so only the "host" part is built.

All this to say: use bv_env_host instead of bv_env, it should work.
Again if you have found a mention of bv_env in a doc, please tell us, we have to change it...

Denis
rvboutin

Post by rvboutin »

Hi Denis,
OK thanks for your reply. I'll see with Fabien why he gave me the link to the trunk version and see if he wants me to download bug_fix one.
I'll try what you advise too.
Thanks,
Rv
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
email: herve.boutin@manchester.ac.uk

Post by riviere »

For the brainvisa-cmake project, there is no question: you should really use the bug_fix version.
For other projects, it depends on what Fabien wants you to use...
Denis