Texture too large for open GL - chipset graphic card

Questions about Anatomist manipulation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

denghien

Texture too large for open GL - chipset graphic card

Post by denghien »

Hi,

I tryed using of Anatomist on Dell 410 (little labtop). It is a little strange because I can display mesh and not volume. I obtained a message like this :

Code: Select all

Texture too large for open GL implementation degrading image
Graphic card is a chipset : Mobile Intel (R) 915 6M/GMS, 910 GML Express Chipset Family.
(Version 3.0.1, windows)

Can anyone know this message ?
It will seem possible to plug in an external graphic card, can anyone try this ?

Isa
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi Isa,

Volumes are displayed in anatomist using 3D primitives and texturing: a volume slice is merely a rectangle with the texture of the slice on it.
OpenGL displays can handle textures of limited size, the maximum size depends on the OpenGL implementation and the 3D card/memory.
This message is issued when a texture is bigger than the maximum. In this case its resolution is degraded and Anatomist tries again with the degraded image, and if it is still too large, it is degraded again etc.
Anyway something should be displayed at the end...
But this case rarely happens on our workstations displaying "standard" images, so this degradation mechanism has not beed tested for a while.
Maybe you should show it to me one day...

Denis
denghien

Post by denghien »

In fact, it's a paticular case because this labtop is 'mini' with 3D mini performances of course.
If I correctly remenbered anatomist terminal displayed an informatic loop.
We will see if it is possible to plug in an external card.

Isa
denghien

Post by denghien »

Solution found by user himself !! I report it.
He discreased "material acceleration" parameter.

Isa
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
I have also added a test to avoid infinite loop when no texture can be displayed at all: it should avoid anatomist to hang, but it will not display anything anyway.
Denis
gouzi

Post by gouzi »

Well, I also have this problem: I try to use brainvisa/anatomist on a mini-labtop, with the Mobile Intel (R) 915 GM/GMS, 910 GML Express Chipset Family.
I also have this message in the log file, when I try to show a volume:

Code: Select all

Texture too large for open GL implementation degrading image
My driver date is: 24/08/2005
My driver version is: 6.14.10.4384

What should I do ? How can I change the material acceleration ?
solution found by user himself :) :
TEMPORARY WORKAROUND: Reduce Hardware Graphics Acceleration
Some video display issues can be resolved by reducing hardware graphics acceleration on the affected workstation.

Follow the procedures below to work around the problem temporarily, then update your video driver as soon as possible.

Windows 2000/XP users:

1. Right-click on the desktop, click on the Settings tab. Click on the Advanced button and click on the Troubleshoot (Windows XP) or Troubleshooting (Windows 2000) tab.
2. Move the Hardware Acceleration slide bar until it is one notch to the right of "None" (the Basic acceleration setting).
3. Click OK, and then click Close.
4. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

If the problem is not resolved, move the hardware acceleration slider to try another setting.
found at: http://support.plato.com/kb/tip.asp?psid=23685
denghien

Post by denghien »

Hi,

Sorry I couldn't answer before but Congratulation you found the solution ! and thanks to complete the forum !

Isa
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi guys,

I am using an Intel 82945G Chipset, and am having the same problems. I have tried downloading the latest drivers for the graphics card with no affect.

If I reduce the hardware acceleration on the graphics card then this does fix the problem, however I am wondering if there is a better solution to this problem.

Thankyou.

Aaron.
denghien

Post by denghien »

Hi,

Today we don't have a better solution. In fact, the downloading of the new driver is a good idea because it can fix the bug if it is a bug of the chipset.

Isa