Texture projection onto mesh file

Questions about Anatomist manipulation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

François Leroy

Texture projection onto mesh file

Post by François Leroy »

Hello,
Is there a way to project a texture file, eg "toto.tex" (associated with a mesh eg 'toto.mesh") onto another mesh, eg "titi.mesh" ?
:wink:
francois
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi François,

If the two meshes don't have the same topology (same number and order of vertices), no. Or at least not directly.
If both meshes are registered (2 brain meshes extracted from normalized MRIs for instance, or with transformation information between them), it could be feasible to do it roughly (in a dirty way) with a kind of nearest neighbour method, but actually lots of projection and interpolation problems would arise. There exists a surface matching plugin in Anatomist which might help you to do so, but it's rather a toy than a serious algorithm, I'm not sure it would really work on brain meshes with many folds of high curvature. Maybe after a brain inflation ?

The works of Cédric Clouchoux, Grégory Operto and Olivier Coulon in Marseille on cortical referentials could be a way to solve this problem.
Or also Pascal Cathier's work at the SHFJ on surface registration would be another way.
See also Roberto Toro's PhD work.
And of course Bruce Fischl's works...

All this to say: it's not a trivial problem.

Denis
François Leroy

Post by François Leroy »

Thank you Denis for your help.
I might try to test the surface matching algorithm since there are some correlations between the two meshes (twin brains).
Where can I find this algorithm?
François