Anatomist Show Volume problem

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

atsui

Anatomist Show Volume problem

Post by atsui »

Hi,

I'm having a problem where Anatomist Show Volume does not display my image. When I have a raw T1 MRI specified, I click the eye icon on the right, and I expect Anatomist to show me my T1. What actually happens is that Anatomist pops up, an object gets loaded into the list (middle window in the screenshot), and an Axial window pops up (right window in the screenshot), but it is empty. The entire error message is shown in the left window in the screenshot, but it doesn't seem informative.

Since the object is loaded, I can work around this problem by manually dragging the object in the list onto the Axial icon, and then it will open an Axial window with the image loaded successfully. However, some things like selecting the AC/PC in Prepare Subject for Anatomical Pipeline becomes unusable because the connection between Anatomist and Brainvisa is broken by this error.

By the way, this problem seems similar to one in a previous post.

I haven't always had this problem on my system (just recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04), but I have Brainvisa 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 and both of them have this error now. The difference when I try Anatomist Show Volume in 4.1.1 is that there is a popup that says "cannot write". Not sure what the issue could be?

--Alex
Attachments
Anatomist Show Volume problem where the object is loaded but the image is not shown.
Anatomist Show Volume problem where the object is loaded but the image is not shown.
AnatomistShowVolume.png (255.75 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
atsui

Re: Anatomist Show Volume problem

Post by atsui »

Not sure if this is useful information but I just wanted to report that somehow, after many combinations of clicking the eye icon and closing Anatomist, the image finally loads when I click the eye icon, and if I click the eye icon again, the image and object will unload itself.

Basically, if I don't close Anatomist, and I always click the eye icon to close any window that gets opened by a previous click on the eye icon, it won't break. But sometimes, I click the eye icon to open a window, but I close the window manually. When I do this, the eye icon remains active, and I have to click it to return it to an inactive state. Then when I click the eye icon from here, I get into this "broken" state where the object loads and the window opens but no image shows up. Once it's "broken", it takes a lot of clicking on the eye icon and closing windows before it works properly again, and I haven't found any consistently reproducible way to "fix" this.

--Alex
riviere
Site Admin

Re: Anatomist Show Volume problem

Post by riviere »

Hi Alex,
Well, Ubuntu 12.04 is brand new and we haven't got time to test BrainVisa on it yet. However it's a little strange that the behaviour depends on the version of the system. You may have additional info by opening the log window (ctrl-L) and looking at the brainvisa/anatomist communications log.
Anyway for the next version, we changed the way Anatomist is controlled by BrainVisa, using the direct bindings in memory rather than the socket communication. So I guess the problem will not happen anymore, or at least in a different (probably more comprehensive) way.

Denis