Brainvisa Installation

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

neurotechnican

Brainvisa Installation

Post by neurotechnican »

Hallo,

i installed Brainvisa on a system with centOs5.2. I used "/usr/local/brainvisa" as programdirectory.
The owner is root. I have created a group "brainvisauser" and i set the group-attribut to it.
The group has all rights (rwx).
I have a user "bvuser". I set his Path-Variable so that brainvisa can be find.
It seems to work but if i want to import some data i get an error message like "It seems to be that the database is read only ...."
Where can I find out which rigths the user must have. I tryed the same with the root-Account. Here there are no error messages.

Thanks
Dominique Geffroy
Site Admin

Re: Brainvisa Installation

Post by Dominique Geffroy »

Hello,

Maybe you try to write in brainvisa inner database, which is indeed readonly.
Did you create a new database before trying to import data ? To do that, go to BrainVISA menu => Preferences => Databases, click on Add button and choose or create a new directory to be your BrainVISA database. This directory can be anywhere you want, but you must have all rights on this directory.

Dominique
neurotechnican

Post by neurotechnican »

Dominique Geffroy wrote:Hello,

Maybe you try to write in brainvisa inner database, which is indeed readonly.
Did you create a new database before trying to import data ? To do that, go to BrainVISA menu => Preferences => Databases, click on Add button and choose or create a new directory to be your BrainVISA database. This directory can be anywhere you want, but you must have all rights on this directory.

Dominique
Hello,

i tried this, to create a database-directory.
Now i get the error-message: "Cannot find out in which database....should be inserted"

Thanks for your help
Yann Cointepas

Post by Yann Cointepas »

Hi,

It is common to install BrainVISA as root in a read-only directory and use it from other accounts, it should not cause trouble. Let's try to find out what is going on for you.

There is one built-in database that is in BrainVISA package directory. It is only used for reading. For other databases (the ones you configure in preferences), you must have read/write access to the directory (and subdirectories) unless you only want a read-only access.

1) You must always have, at least, a writable database to strore the result of the processes. All output files must be in a writable database (unless you type output file names yourself without using databases).

2) Have you checked that your user can create, read and delete files in the database directory and in a user created subdirectory ?

3) Can you send me (via private message if you need privacy) a log file ?
- Check the log file name given in a terminal at BrainVISA startup (usually $HOME/.brainvisa/brainvisa.log unless several BrainVISA are running at the same time for the same user).
- play with BrainVISA until the error message is shown
- quit BrainVISA (this is important)
- send the file.

Yann
Mgt

Post by Mgt »

Hi everyone,

I know this topic is quite out of date, but it matches my problem.

I would like to use the newest version of BrainVisa on a Windows XP system, so I downloaded it and extracted it on my desktop. During the extraction, many files were declared as protected by a password (which I ignore).

Is that normal? I had first installed BV under Windows Vista, and I never met those warnings. It was doing pretty well until a certain point, but I had to change my working OS.

I skiped the several warning windows and succeeded in starting BV. Still, when I tried it on T1 images, it would not go past the T1 bias correction, although I used images and parameters I knew can give results since I had succeded with them while on Vista. Could it be linked to those protected files I could not unlock?

Thanks for yout help

Margot
Yann Cointepas

Post by Yann Cointepas »

It is quite strange. There is no protection on the package. We are using Windows XP for BrainVISA compilation, packaging and testing so the system itself should not be a problem. Could it be a problem with your unpacking program ? You can try to uncompress the package on another machine (even on another OS) and directly copy the files via an USB key or whatever.

What do you mean by not passing the bias correction, is it failing to execute or do you get a different result on XP and on Vista ?
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

I think I have heard of other people having this kind of trouble. If I remember it was a problem of the zip archive being corrupted during download. But I am not sure to remember correctly.
Denis
Mgt

Post by Mgt »

Thank you for your answers.

I think it is more likely to be a problem with the unpacking program since I used the same downloaded package for both installations on Vista and XP. I'll try to unzip it under linux first and copy it to XP.

About the bias correction, the program fails to execute it (I have the "Programme terminé avec une valeur non nulle: 111" error message that is mentioned in other topics).

Margot