I have a problem...

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

asato

I have a problem...

Post by asato »

Hi,

I installed SHFJ_pack-stable-2.3.2 both in Windows XP and Linux. The same problem appeared in both systems: After I clicked on eye icon in brainvisa.bat, it didn't work to connect anatomist.bat and view images which I input before.

In Windows XP,after I clicked on eye icon,it sometimes work to connect anatomist.bat and it sometimes didn't work.

In Linux,after I clicked on eye icon,it always didn't work and the window of the terminator appeared the following sentences:

Process Anatomist Show Volume 1 started

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR in Anatomist Show Volume 1 gaierror: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
neuroProcesses.py (1003) in _processExecution:

result = process.execution( self )

AnatomistShowVolume.py (42) in execution:

return Anatomist.AnatomistImageView( self.read )

Anatomist.py (2029) in __init__:

self.a = anatomist()

Anatomist.py (1995) in anatomist:

Anatomist.instance = Anatomist()

Anatomist.py (923) in __init__:

self.launch()

Anatomist.py (939) in launch:

port = self.comm.findFreePort()

Anatomist.py (249) in findFreePort:

res = tmpsocket.connect_ex( ( self.dest, startport ) )

Process Anatomist Show Volume 1 finished

I don't know what's wrong with it. Please help me to solve the problem, Thank you so much!!

Yi-Chia
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,

I have not thoroughly tested the windows version yet after you already had problems. I find it strange that it sometimes works and sometimes not... Maybe I have not used it enough myself to run into random problems like this one, so I have to play with it a little more.
On the linux version, I am pretty sure the pack works, so I rather suspect your linux installation: it looks likes if there is no networking at all (even the fake local network interface), I wonder how it is possible: many linux components implicitly assume there is a network interface. What kind of linux distribution have you installed ?

Denis
asato

Post by asato »

Hi,

I installed RedHat Linux system in my computer. I don't understand what "network interface" mean you told me previously. Could you explain it more clearly?

When I clicked on eye icon in Windows XP and it didn't work, it appeared a window to tell me that the firewall in windows XP system limited the execution of the file 'anatomist.bat'. Then I took off the limitation to anatomist.bat by firewall,but the problem wasn't solved. I'm so wondered if the connection between brainvisa.bat and anatomist.bat is related with the firewall.

Besides, BrainVISA install instructions tell users to set environment variables. Should I set environment variables every time when I use eye icons to connect brainvisa.bat and anatomist.bat? If the answer is yes, then how should I do? Should I set environment variables first then use eye icons?

Thanks for your help!!

Yi-Chia
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

First, I'm thinking about something: does the installation path of the package contain any space character ? (it's common on Windows, for instance some people try to put it in "My Documents")
There are some bugs in the installation program (I'm just fixing them today) so there sould be no space character in the full name of the programs.

Now the network:
BrainVisa and Anatomist both run locally on your machine, so you may think they shouldn't require a network to run. But the way BrainVisa communicates with Anatomist to control it uses a network connection: a local network connection. BrainVisa connects from your machine to itself, and Anatomist (running as a server) answers the connection from BrainVisa. This way, anatomist could be controlled from another machine (maybe accross the internet), but here the connection is just local.
Normally the firewall should not be involved because this connection doesn't actually go outside of your machine, and the firewall (if correctly configured) should only filter network packets coming from outside your machine into it (and maybe also outgoing packets), but not those staying inside the machine.

So why is all this not working on your computer... The first thing that seems strange to me is that both linux and windows have a network-related problem. Could it be the configuration of the network you are connected to ? But it should be independent. It looks like if your machine can't connect to itself, I have never seen this before (you don't even need a network card)...
On Windows I don't have as much knowledge of the system as on linux, so could you make a few tests on linux please ?
- try anatomist alone, not via brainvisa, just to see if the program anatomist works or not
- check the local network interface: in a linux terminal, type:

Code: Select all

/sbin/route
and tell me what it prints. Normally you should have, amongst others, a line looking like this:

127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
- still in the linux terminal, you can also check all network interfaces configuration by typing:

/sbin/ifconfig
and one of the interfaces should be named "lo" and have the inet address 127.0.0.1
If not, your machine is not installed correctly...
- if it is OK, you can test if it is working: type:

ping localhost
this should print lines looking like this:

PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.075 ms
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.071 ms
and other lines following until you stop it (by hitting ctrl-C)
If you instead get a message saying "ping: unknown host localhost" or blocking and ending with "100% packet loss" when you break it by hitting ctrl-C, then something is not working in your network configuration.

If everything seems correct, then the problem is somewhere else.

Denis
Yann Cointepas

Post by Yann Cointepas »

I think that the problem on the two different systems have different origin because Linux and Windows are really different. On Linux, as Denis said, it could be due to a wrong system installation and/or configuration. Denis' tests will give more information. On the other hand, for the Windows version, it could be due to the new firewall settings introduced by Microsoft Service Pack 2 (via Windows Update). I think none of us have tested BrainVISA on Windows with SP2 yet. I will test it shortly in roder to see if I encounter problems.
asato

Post by asato »

Hi,

I just made the tests on linux.
After I typed the code '/sbin/route' , the terminator printed as following:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
140.129.72.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default 140.129.72.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Then I typed the code '/sbin/config' , and the terminator printed as following:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:44:6D:A9:E7
inet addr:140.129.72.225 Bcast:140.129.72.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:17389 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:460 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:1465269 (1.3 Mb) TX bytes:42805 (41.8 Kb)
Interrupt:22 Base address:0xbc00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:8430 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8430 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:544809 (532.0 Kb) TX bytes:544809 (532.0 Kb)

Finally I typed the code 'ping localhost' , and the terminator printed as following:

ping: unknown host localhost

The tests showed me that something is not working in my network configuration. I don't have a lot of knowledge about linux. Would you tell me how to find where the problem is and how to solve the problem?

Thank you so much!!

Yi-chia
asato

Post by asato »

Besides, when I typed the code 'ping 127.0.0.1' , it printed as folllowing:

PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.034 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.021 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.019 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.019 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.020 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.023 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.019 ms

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 5999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.019/0.022/0.034/0.005 ms

Then I hitted 'ctrl+c' and typed 'ping localhost' . the terminator printed as following:

ping: unknown host localhost

Please tell me how to solve the problem. Thank you!!

Yi-Chia
asato

Post by asato »

Hi,

After I added 127.0.0.1 into router , I've solved my problem. Thank you so much!!

Yi-Chia