sulci texture gradient palette unit ?

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

synic

sulci texture gradient palette unit ?

Post by synic »

Dear Experts,

I inflated a brain an applied the texture of the sulci, I'm really please of the result but I would need to know the unit used for the gradient of the texture.

thanks in advance for your help,

cheers,

michel
Jean-Francois Mangin

Re: sulci texture gradient palette unit ?

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

What texture are you talking about? Mean curvature?
synic

Post by synic »

Yes I'm speaking about the Mean curvature.

Thanks

michel
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,
As I see in the source code, the curvature texture built with the inflate program is a "Barycenter Curvature", a very simple curvature approximation which basically computes on each mesh vertex the projection on its normal, of the vector between the local barycenter of neighbouring vertices and the vertex itself. So I would guess the units are mm, which is actually not a curvature unit; moreover it's an approximation and really depends on the mean mesh triangles size...
Otherwise there are several other curvature computation algorithms in the aimsalgo library, which are available via AimsMeshCurvature (which is poorly documented: the list of methods is not given in the help...). Possible methods are: "fem" (finite elements), "boix", "barycenter" (the one used in AimsInflate), and "boixgaussian". I don't know much more about them.
Arnaud should know more because he wrote most of the methods, but I'm not sure he reads the forum regularly... Maybe Olivier knows too...
Denis