A new cortical surface generation

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

wntsea

A new cortical surface generation

Post by wntsea »

Hi,

I wonder if I can get a new cortical surface that represents the surface (arbitrarily) 5 mm below from the GM/WM interface surface?

Thank you.
Jong-Min Lee
Jean-Francois Mangin

Re: A new cortical surface generation

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

It is not clear to me what you target, deep white matter? Because 5 mm below in the gyri would drive you into a mess?
If you target deep white matter, a 5mm Morphological Opening applied on a mask of white matter should
give you the object to be meshes. Not sure it would be spherical, except if you get
some advise from a wizard of Vip commands:-) Tell me more.
wntsea

Post by wntsea »

Hi JF,

Yes. I want to explore the deep WM using cortical surface. I am looking for a solution to get another cortical surface 5-mm below from the GM/WM interface surface. I thought and some of my team suggested applying a morphological opening operator to WM volume like you advised. While it might be a good approach and I will try it, I wonder if there is a more elegant solution like another surface (i.e. spherical) with topological and geometrical correctness.

Thank you.
Jong-Min Lee

p.s. BTW, I just downloaded BrainVisa 4.0 and really love this program. But, it is somewhat difficult to use it with my MacBookPro. For example, 3D rendering doen't work with high resolution T1 volume. Please remember there are some users who want to use your program daily with MBP. ^^;
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi Jong-Min,

No we don't have a "surface-deformation"-based algorithm for this. The main problem with this approach would be the difficulty to ensure that the deformed mesh does not completely cross the gyrus and intersect.

For the Mac version problem, we haven't seen any rendering problems on our Mac, but we have only one Mac for porting, so we don't have a complete idea of what can happen on all Mac machines. However we are using "standard" OpenGL code which is the same on all systems and which works quite well on other systems. There may be some problems linked with 3D hardware drivers: for instance there are lots of rendering problems on Windows machines (generally laptops) running Intel-based graphics chipsets. It is possible that the same problems also happen on Macs if Intel drivers are based on the same code on both Windows and MacOS. I don't know if it is possible to lower or disable hardware 3D rendering on MacOS (it is possible on Windows XP and solves the problems in many cases - but not all). Which size is your high resolution T1 volume ?

Denis