"IOError : too much files open" coming iteratly

Questions about BrainVisa usage and installation

Moderators: denghien, riviere

ericj

"IOError : too much files open" coming iteratly

Post by ericj »

Hi,

I'm using brainvisa essentialy for morphometry. I'm not going really deep into the software as I am only using anatomical pipelines. I'm running Brainvisa on a Asus Laptop, with an AMD turion 64, 1GO Ram and nvidia graphics card. It relies on double booting with XP and Fedora Core 4. I'm experiencing some kind of trouble often enough to be quiet disabling. Sometimes, when lauching any routine from brainvisa, I get an error : "IOError : too much files open". It then keeps coming and preventing any routine to begin until I quit. Sometimes I'm even forced to quit the session.
Any one have ever heard of this ? Is this a Brainvisa problem ? or a Fedora one ? I have just redone a complete install from scratch but the problem is still occuring.

Best regards,
Eric Jouvent
Manik

Post by Manik »

This error is reported by python because the maximum number of open files was reached.
This is really strange, as it is usually a very large number.
To see the current value of the maximum :
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max (you may need to be root)
The value returned is 102530 on my computer, how much is it on yours ? Fedora probably gives this a correct value, but just in case, could you check this ?
Manik Bhattacharjee
INSERM U836
ericj

Post by ericj »

thanks for your quick answer,

I've checked for this, and the number I have is rather large too. More than 100 000 as yours. I still don't understand what's happening. Do you think it could come from the fact that my databases are on an external drive ? I don't…

Best regards
Eric Jouvent
Manik

Post by Manik »

I had a lot of problems using an external drive for the Brainvisa database, but it was because it was formatted for windows (fat32 filesystem) and not for linux. As long as yours is ext2/ext3/reiserfs it should not be a problem.
Or maybe there is a per-drive limit as well ? How do you mount your external drive ? If it is automatic, it is probably using automount or something like this; I had a few problems with this (I never tried with Brainvisa), so in that case you should try to umount your disk and remounting it manually using mount /dev/yourDisk /yourPath
Manik Bhattacharjee
INSERM U836
ericj

Post by ericj »

In fact the problem occured with a FAT32 formated external drive. I've reformated it in ext2. I let you know if the problem is fixed. Right now it seems to work fine.
Thanks again for your help

Sincerely
Eric Jouvent
riviere
Site Admin

Post by riviere »

Hi,

There are limits on the number of open files on the system, but also process-by-process limits: use the command 'limit' to see it (generally: 1024 descriptors).
Now the question is: why is this limit reached ? We have never experienced this problem...
Does it occur during the morphometry process execution (so in a C++ commandline) or in brainvisa in general (then, in python code) ?

Denis
Jean-Francois Mangin

Post by Jean-Francois Mangin »

As far as I remember when I saw this stuff happening, we get a python message...
ericj

Post by ericj »

It's been two weeks without any problem since I changed the format of my external drives. It's really an amazing stuff…

Kind regards
eric jouvent